Hi there, welcome to parts of speech. Today’s topic on How to write a formal letter.
So you want to write a letter, honestly speaking in today’s era of mail and messages we forget about letter writing, I mean typical letters handwritten not a computer one. However, nowadays we use a formal letter to obtain information, to apply for a job, to write a complaint letter or business purposes. By the way, your reason may be different, those are just examples.
In today’s topic, we briefly discuss on
- How to write a formal letter
- letter writing samples and format
- Formal letter application for a job
- letter by email
- Formal letter business format
- Formal letter examples for students
So that’s our topics, let discuss them quickly
If you write a formal letter then two things you should remember
- Use of a proper format
- use the right tone to approach that means to be polite and respectful and strictly professional, therefore your letter have the desired effect on the reader
So let’s go in next step
Formal letter format
You have to divide your letter in eight section
- Sender’s address
- Recipients address
- The subject of your letter
- Greeting or salutation
- The body of the letter
- Subscription or closing of the letter
If you send your letter by post then you should mention the recipient’s address outside the envelope:
Let’s discuss the parts step by step:
You can write the Sender’s address on the top left corner of your page. The address should be complete and accurate because of further communication with the sender
Write the date just below the Sender’s Address. You can use “28 Oct 2018”. This type of format, but you must mention the date on your letter because they are kept letters according to dates
You should write this just below the Date. Mention ‘To’ above the address. By the way, it is a writer’s preference.
Make sure you write the official title, name, and position of the receiver
Greeting or Salutation
Here you greet the person addressing in the letter. Remember your greet should be respectful and not too personal
Here are some salutation for your easier understanding
The most uses salutation are-
- Madam, (Wheather she is married or not)
- Dear Sir,
- Dear Madam,
If you know the person’s name then you can mention it like
- Dear Mr. Das
- Dear Mr. Roy
By the way, never use the first names while addressing in the letter, this is not a formal way of writing
Don’t use exclamation sign after the salutation
Mention the subject why you are writing the letter in one line. Remember this is the first attraction of the person whom you are sending the letter, so it must be proper and accurate
The body of the letter
This is the main part of your letter. If the letter is brief, you can divide it into four paragraphs, once again this is a writer’s choice, But in my opinion, I should prefer Four.
- In the first paragraph, you should write the purpose of the letter or introduce the topic with reference
- Second, write what you need to do
- Third request the specific action to be done
- And after that always mention a thank you in the end
Some points to remember when you write a body:
- Your written language is always respectful to the reader, strictly formal and professional. Whatever the topic is
- Eliminate any grammatical or spelling errors, this mistake is not acceptable in a formal letter. You should check this before final submission. If you type the letter on a computer you can use “MS WORD“, It can autodetect any spelling or grammatical errors or you can use “Grammarly“. It is a good choice. By the way, this is not a paid promotion at all. I personally use those and its help me a lot
- Do not write lengthy paragraphs. Keep it short and polite. Don’t add any unnecessary information
- Avoid slung, unnecessary contractions, emojis or jokes
- And last, always mention ‘Thank you’ at the end of your letter
Now time for Subscription
You can use the complimentary using the words- Yours Faithfully, Yours Sincerely
- Don’t put an apostrophe in Yours (
More often some documents are attached to the business letter. You can mention it on the left-hand bottom corner of the letter. For example, Resume or CC, Xerox copy of any documents.
So now your letter has been written, read it throughout to ensure you have communicated your points perfectly and checked there is any kind of spelling mistake or not. And then your letter is ready for sent to its recipients
Formal letter writing samples and format
So now you already knew How to write a formal letter. Now I show you some examples and format of a formal letter.
At first, we talk about Formal letter application for a job
Formal letter application for a job
It also is known as a cover letter in general. It is sent with your resume to provide additional information about your skills. There are so many resumes submitted on the table of the company. So what you do extra?
You should propose a solid cover letter which attracts the reader not only about your skills but also your perfection and approach for that job. I think now you also understand what I mean.
Not everywhere your skills matter, sometimes your approach, perfection do the job, that what nowadays each and every farm want from you. So that’s why you need to write a blasting cover letter by the way that’s not men you get the job, you just go one step ahead from others.
The format of this letter is also the same as I mention above
You need to modify the body of the letter. How do you do that? Let me show you
- In the first paragraph express your interest and tell him or her where you found the job advertisement and what benefits they expect from you, this is most important
- In the second, Summarize your qualifications, experience, and your strength
- Include one sentence why you are the perfect candidate for that company
- Lastly and most importantly invite the addresser to contact you, for example, you can write ‘I would welcome hearing from you.
Points to remember
- Your application must highlight your traits
- It should be written in a polite and strictly professional language
- Free from any kind of spelling and grammatical mistakes
- The presentation should be nice
- Write modestly but frankly
- If any farm asked for a handwritten application, never send them a type one
- Do not send the application by registered post unless until they asked for
Let me show you the format
Formal letter by Email
So now how to write a formal letter by email. Nowadays many companies ask you to send a cover letter by email. How do you do that?
In an email, you have to fill up four parts
- The body of the letter
- Closing with Subscription
Let me show you
If you want to attach your resume or any documents, Mention it below Your name and attach the file.
Some important notes-
- Use a professional o standard e-mail address. For example, [email protected] Never use
‘[email protected]’, this looks unprofessional
- Use a professional font. Like- Arial and size-11, that depends on you
- Not to use any emojis
- If you wish you can highlight the important part
Formal letter business format
The format of a business letter is same as other formal letters except that it contains additional reference number if available
A good business letter can sell goods, create a new customer, settles old disputes, build up confidence in buyers etc.
The business letter covers the following topics
- Banking related
- Railway Correspondence
- Enquires or quotation
- For order something
- Complain against orders
- Miscellaneous letters
Some notes regarding this
- If you write a business letter keep it short because readers have limited time
- your letter should be clear all doubts
- A business letter is the first impression that you make on someone, so make it perfectly
Let show you one format:
Formal letter examples for students
I already wrote an article on this How to write a letter to the principal. Check this for your reference.
The format is same as a Formal Letter. At first read, this article on how to write a formal letter then check out another article on How to write a letter to principal.
If you need help then mention it on comment box I will solve your queries happily
The above-shown templates are example basis. You can surely copy this but I recommend you to write a much better Letter with the help of references I mentioned above. You can also send your letter to me, Then I will surely add those on my templates with Shoutout.
So this is the answer to your question- How to write a formal letter. And also I mentioned important parts regarding this. Hope you now able to write a formal letter in a proper way. Thank you. I am Saswata, asking for my leave, see you some other articles. Cheers
Sign up and receive new post notification in your Email, I regularly post some important writing related and others English-oriented posts which help you a lot.
Some handpicked article for you