WHAT IS A NOUN?
The ‘noun’ is denoted as the name of the person, thing, place, idea, and quality of the person.
Hey guys, so today we learn about the topic ‘NOUN‘, It is the basic and first topic of Parts Of Speech. Exact knowledge on this topic helps you to make a proper sentence. In this topic, we learn about Definitions and kinds of Nouns, their examples. So here we go
There are eight kinds of Noun-
- Proper noun
- Common noun
- Material noun
- Abstract noun
- Collective noun
- Countable noun
- Uncountable noun
- Compound noun
It is the name of a particular person, thing, or place. It always writes in a capital letter at the beginning of the word.
- Delhi is a busy city
- William Shakespeare was an English poet
Sometimes it uses as a Common Noun,
Example- Suman thinks himself a Shakespeare (a poet). Here Shakespeare uses for Common Noun.
It is the name given to every common person or a thing of the same kind or class or type. Common is means shared by all.
For example Dog, cat, table, chair, boy, girl, poet, phone, computer, shop, carrot etc.
It denotes the material of the thing and the matter of substance, these are not counted.
- This jewelry is made of gold
- The chair is built of wood
NOTE: Sometimes material noun behaves like a common noun
- The tea of Darjeeling is exported to many countries
Here tea is used as a common noun.
It is the name of quality, concept, idea, action or state, belonging to an object.
For example Quality, Brightness, laziness, wisdom, darkness etc.
- Action- Laughter, movement, Theft etc.
- State- Childhood, youth, boyhood, death etc.
In addition, the name of sciences and arts are also in this type. Example: – music, physic, math, grammar, etc.
It is the name of a collection of persons or things taken together or a group
For example Flock, audience, class, committee, crowd, fleet, herd, jury, family etc.
- A fleet of ships
- A crowd of people
- A mob of angry people
These generally take a singular verb.
For example – A heard of cattle is passing.
Some of these types like family, team, jury etc. can take both verbs (Singular and Plural) depends on their usage, like this-
- The jury has issued a notice. (Here ‘the jury’ behaves like a single unit)
- The jury are divided into their decisions. (Here ‘the jury’ refers to all the members separately and behaves as the Noun of Multitude.)
Related posts related to a collective noun, you should know about this:
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR THIEVES
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR TREES
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR SHIP
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR LOCUSTS
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR PICTURES
It is for something that can be counted.
For example house, apple, tree, girl etc.
It stands for something that cannot be count, it only can be measured.
For example Sand, grass, water, etc,
When two or more words create a noun then this type of nouns are called a Compound noun.
For example credit card, daughter-in-law etc.
Meanwhile, we need to know some other important things about nouns those as follow:
- Suman is my friend. Subjective/Nominative case
- Who brought this book? Objective/Accusative case
- He is Rina’s wife. Possessive/Genitive case
- Help me, John. Vocative case
This to say:
Some special nouns are singular in form but Plural in sense: –
Cattle, gentry, poor, rich, etc.
Some Special Nouns are Plural in form but singular in use: –
Mathematics, news, politics etc.
Some points to remember:
- In the case of a proper noun, we use ‘the’ For example, The Pluto is the smallest planet.
- But in case of the name of a person or place, we do not use ‘the’
- If we use ‘the’ before the name of a person or place it becomes common.
- ‘The’ is not useful in case of a common noun. For example, Man is mortal
- If we use ‘the’ before the common noun it becomes proper. For example, I know the man
- If we use an abstract noun, there is no need for ‘the’. Let me show you in a sentence- Honesty is the best policy
- For the abstract, if we use ‘a’, ‘an’, or ‘the’, then it’s become common noun
- In the case of the material, we always use the singular form. For example, the house is made of brick (not bricks)
- There is some pair noun like spectacles, glasses, scissors, tongs, shoes, socks, these nouns take a plural verb. For example, my spectacles have been lost.
- If a noun used as an adjective then it takes singular form, for example, a Five-year-old boy
Rules of Noun
Uncountable nouns are used in a singular form only.
The indefinite article is not used before them.
‘Much’ or ‘some’ is used in place of ‘many’ for denoting the plurality.
These nouns may be used to denote singularity.
- a word of advice
- a piece of work
- an article of luggage
These nouns may be used to denote plurality.
- Much or some advice
- Words of abuse
There are some of the collective nouns which are used with plural verbs.
- Cattle, gentry, poultry, people, majority etc
The nouns ‘ committee, jury, house, family, mob, crowd, police, team, number etc. are used with singular verbs when they are used as a body or group, not as members.
When this noun denotes members or individuals, the verb is used in plural form.
- Cattles are grazing in the field (use kettle in place of cattles)
- Majority is in favor of this proposal (use are in place of is)
- The committee is unanimous on this issue (Correct)
- The committee are divided in their decision(Correct)
- The average Hindu family in India consists of five members(Correct)
Offspring, deer, fish, Sheep are expressed as a singular or plural only by the use of the verb. both in singular and the plural, they have the same form.
- Sheeps are economically useful (use sheep in place of sheeps)
- A sheep is grazing in the field
Fishes may be used in the sense of different number and kind.
Some of the nouns (ending in ‘s’ or ‘es’) are used with a singular verb.
Branches of learning. For example, mathematics, mechanics, physics, statistics.
Statistics as a subject is used with a singular verb. but when statistics are taken as a collection of data is used with a plural verb
Disease, for example, mumps rickets etc.
Games and sports, for example, billiards, gymnastics etc.
Descriptive names of countries, for example, the United States, United Arab Emirates etc.
Some other nouns are- innings, series, news etc.
Some of the nouns are generally used in the plural form with a plural verb.
Articles of dress (trouser, jeans).
Names of instruments (spectacles, scales, scissors).
Other nouns such as- thanks, richest, orders, annals, ashes, assets, savings, surroundings etc.
- My scissors is not sharp (use are in place of is)
- My spectacles is very costly (use are in place of is)
- Order for his transfer has been shipped (incorrect)
- Orders for his transfer have been shipped(correct)
Noun after a preposition is repeated in singular form.
- Door to door.
- Hour after hour.
Nouns as singular and plural in forms
Plural forms of certain nouns
Classify the Nouns in the following sentences
- Justice is a noble quality
- He is a justice of the peace
- I teach them grammar
- Rice is the principal food of the Bengals
- The Jury consists of four men
- The crowd were dispersed
- He is live in water
- She is a beauty
- The iron of this pillar is good
- The cleverness of the boy is admirable
Classify the underlined Nouns in the following sentences
- We know the chopras of Delhi
- She is a child of destiny
- They were put in irons
- This wall is built of stone
- A mob of Angry people protested against them
- She praised the honesty of the boy
- The Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system
- The father in him could not bear the sight
- Valmiki is the homer of India
- He committed a mistake
Let’s do itself and comment down the answer to this question, I will check those out. And if you have any doubts regarding this topic to mention it in the comment section
And also subscribe to our Mail Box for Grammar related articles and Quizzes, directly in your inbox. Swipe Down
So in this whole lesson, we learn about Noun completely and its usages, types. That’s it for today I hope it helps you to find your queries regarding this.
See you some another post, Hope you like it
Check our others parts of speech related post in the Content box. Cheers