WHAT IS A NOUN?
The ‘noun’ is denoted as the name of the person, thing, place, idea, and quality of the person.
Hey guys, so today we learn about the topic ‘NOUN‘. It is the basic and first topic of Parts Of Speech. Exact knowledge on this topic helps you to make a proper sentence. In this topic, we learn about Definitions and kinds of Nouns, their examples. So here we go.
KINDS OF NOUN:
There are eight kinds of Noun:
- Proper noun.
- Common noun.
- Material noun.
- Abstract noun.
- Collective noun.
- Countable noun.
- Uncountable noun.
- Compound noun.
PROPER NOUN DEFINITION:
It is the name of a particular person, thing, or place. It always writes in a capital letter at the beginning of the word.
- Delhi is a busy city.
- William Shakespeare was an English poet.
Sometimes it uses as a Common Noun.
Example- Suman thinks himself a Shakespeare (a poet). Here Shakespeare uses for Common Noun.
COMMON NOUN DEFINITION:
It is the name given to every common person or a thing of the same kind or class or type. Common is means shared by all.
For example Dog, cat, table, chair, boy, girl, poet, phone, computer, shop, carrot, etc.
MATERIAL NOUN DEFINITION:
It denotes the material of the thing and the matter of substance, these are not counted.
- This jewelry is made of gold.
- The chair is built of wood.
NOTE: Sometimes material noun behaves like a common noun
- The tea of Darjeeling is exported to many countries.
Here tea is used as a common noun.
ABSTRACT NOUN DEFINITION:
It is the name of quality, concept, idea, action or state, belonging to an object.
For example Quality, Brightness, laziness, wisdom, darkness, etc.
- Action- Laughter, movement, Theft, etc.
- State- Childhood, youth, boyhood, death, etc.
In addition, the name of the sciences and arts are also in this type. Example: – music, physic, math, grammar, etc.
COLLECTIVE NOUN DEFINITION:
It is the name of a collection of persons or things taken together or a group.
For example Flock, audience, class, committee, crowd, fleet, herd, jury, family, etc.
- A fleet of ships.
- A crowd of people.
- A mob of angry people.
These generally take a singular verb.
For example – A heard of cattle is passing.
Some of these types like family, team, jury, etc. can take both verbs (Singular and Plural) depends on their usage, like this-
- The jury has issued a notice. (Here ‘the jury’ behaves like a single unit).
- The jury are divided into their decisions. (Here ‘the jury’ refers to all the members separately and behaves as the Noun of Multitude).
Related posts related to a collective noun, you should know about this:
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR THIEVES.
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR TREES.
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR SHIP.
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR LOCUSTS.
- COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR PICTURES.
- 50+ COLLECTIVE NOUN LIST.
COUNTABLE NOUN DEFINITION:
It is for something that can be counted.
For example house, apple, tree, girl, etc.
UNCOUNTABLE NOUN DEFINITION:
It stands for something that cannot be count, it only can be measured.
For example Sand, grass, water, etc.
COMPOUND NOUN DEFINITION:
When two or more words create a noun then this type of nouns are called a Compound noun.
For example credit card, daughter-in-law, etc.
Meanwhile, we need to know some other important things about nouns those as follow:
- Singular number.
- Plural number.
- Suman is my friend. Subjective/Nominative case.
- Who brought this book? Objective/Accusative case.
- He is Rina’s wife. Possessive/Genitive case.
- Help me, John. Vocative case.
This to say:
Some special nouns are singular in form but Plural in sense: –
Cattle, gentry, poor, rich, etc.
Some Special Nouns are Plural in form but singular in use: –
Mathematics, news, politics, etc.
RULES OF NOUN:
‘The’ is used before a Proper noun.
For example, The pluto is the smallest planet.
But in the case of the name of a person or place ‘the’ is not used.
For example, Sourav lives in Kolkata.
When ‘the’ is used before the name of a person, it becomes a common noun.
For example, He is the Sachin of our team.
In the case of a common noun, ‘the’ is not used.
For example, Man is mortal.
When ‘the’ is used before a common noun, it becomes a proper noun.
For example, I know the man.
‘The’ is not used before an abstract noun.
For example, Honesty is the best policy.
When ‘a’ ‘an’ ‘the’ is used before abstract noun, it is turned into a common noun.
For example, I was pleased at the honesty of the poor man.
When an abstract noun is personified, its first letter is in the capital and it is turned into a proper noun.
For example, Death comes to all. He is a child of Destiny.
A material noun is always used in singular form.
For example, The house is made of brick (Not bricks).
The number of + plural noun + singular verb.
Let me show the example,
The number of boys is 1000.
There are some pair nouns- spectacles, glasses, scissors, shoes, these nouns take a plural verb.
For example, My spectacles have been lost.
A pair of + Pair noun + Singular Verb.
For example, A pair of spectacles has been found.
When a noun is used as an adjective, it takes a singular form.
- Five-year plan.
- Five-year-old boy.
If ‘the’ is used before ‘poor’ ‘rich’, the verb will be plural.
For example, The rich are not always happy.
NOUNS AS SINGULAR AND PLURAL FORMS
PLURAL FORMS OF CERTAIN NOUNS
Classify the Nouns in the following sentences
- Justice is a noble quality.
- He is a justice of the peace.
- I teach them grammar.
- Rice is the principal food of the Bengals.
- The Jury consists of four men.
- The crowd were dispersed.
- He is live in water.
- She is a beauty.
- The iron of this pillar is good.
- The cleverness of the boy is admirable.
Classify the underlined Nouns in the following sentences.
- We know the chopras of Delhi.
- She is a child of destiny.
- They were put in irons.
- This wall is built of stone.
- A mob of Angry people protested against them.
- She praised the honesty of the boy.
- Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system.
- The father in him could not bear the sight.
- Valmiki is the homer of India.
- He committed a mistake.
Let’s do itself and comment down the answer to this question, I will check those out. And if you have any doubts regarding this topic to mention it in the comment section.
So in this whole lesson, we learn about Noun completely and its usages, types. That’s it for today I hope it helps you to find your queries regarding this.
See you some another post, Hope you like it.
Check our others parts of speech related post in the Content box. Cheers.