What is a conjunction?
It is a word which connects two or more than two words phrases clause or sentences.
For example, he shall do it before I return. In this sentence ‘before’ is used as a Conjunction.
Here is the 10 example of conjunction in a sentence.
Conjunction or divided into two main types, Co-ordinate conjunction and Subordinating conjunction.
Co-ordinate Conjunction are four kinds:
- Cumulative or Copulative Conjunction
- Alternative Conjunction
- Adversative Conjunction
- Illative Conjunction
Here is the example of Co-ordinate Conjunctions.
Examples of Cumulative or Copulative Conjunction:
- I read and write.
- Suman and Subhankar are friends.
- Be just and fear not.
- Both he and his sister will go.
As well as:
- Suman, as well as his sister, will go.
Not only- but also:
- Not only she but his brother also will go.
- He was there and you also.
Examples of Alternative Conjunction:
- Make haste or you will be late.
- Study or you will fail.
- Either he or his brother will go.
- Either he or his friends did it.
- Neither he nor his brother will go.
- Work hard otherwise, you will fail.
Examples of Adversative Conjunction:
But, yet, still:
- He is poor but he is honest.
- He is rich but miserly.
- You are guilty however I don’t pardon you this time.
On the contrary:
- I do not hate him, on the contrary, I love him so much.
- You failed while your brother passed.
- He works while you play
- You may come only make no noise.
Examples of Illative Conjunctions:
Therefore, so, consequently:
- He did not study hard therefore he failed.
- You have opposed me, therefore I cannot help my brother.
- I do not like him for he is a bad boy.
Examples of Subordinating Conjunction:
These are the example of Subordinating Conjunction.
- Wait till it is a night.
- Wait until I come.
- Until I return, stay where you are.
- He came after I had left.
- Ask before he could do the work.
- Do not before I come.
- He came when I was there.
- I went there when he was ill.
- Don’t go out while it rains.
- While there is life, there is hope.
- I have not seen him since I came.
Cause or reason
- As I am ill I cannot go.
- Do as you are bidden.
- He cannot work because he is ill.
That, so that:
- He works hard that he may win the first prize.
- Live well so that you may die well.
- I work hard lest I should fail.
- He fled lest he should be killed.
- He wrote to us that he would not come.
- I hear that he has come.
- Sit down that you may not be hurt.
- I shall go if you come.
- I don’t know if he will be here.
- If you would be healthy, be good.
- If you read you will learn.
I shall fail unless you help me in the study.
- I shall go there whether you like it or not.
- I sell help you provided you obey me.
- He worked so hard that he fell ill.
- Shyam is such a fool that I cannot rely on him.
- She is as tall as you.
- She is taller than you are.
- I am not so tall as you are.
- As you sow so shall you reap?
- They will be chosen according as they are fit.
- Poor as I am, I am honest.
- Though he is poor he is honest.
- Though you are strong, I care a straw for you.
- However strong she is she cannot do this.
- You are wrong, however, you are pardoned this time.
- However rich you may be, I do not care for you.
- Whoever you may be just getting out from my room.
- Whatever you say I do not believe you.
You can read about Conjunction in depth here:
Some hand-picked topic for you: